Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
"Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
Date:  Mon Dec 17, 2001  1:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] voice coahcing help

> Secondly, he's got it into his head that he can't do it, he's
> panicking and losing all his breath on the opening note. (for those
> familiar with the show, we're doing Godspell and he's not coping
> with "Prepare Ye..."). Of course he thinks he can't manage it, so he
> doesn't perform, so he thinks he can't manage.... It's a vicious
> spiral. Any hints on increasing this lad's confidence would be great.
> He's around 15-17 years, and is about the best male we have in the
> group.

On a practical level, if you're near to production, is trying to change his
vocal technique _now_ really a good idea ? Maybe just accepting the nasal
(but best option that you have) sound for the production and then giving him
some tuition afterwards, if he's open to it. Maybe look from a directorial
perspective rather than a purely musical one. Do you want a relaxed singer
with dodgy technique but who can get the notes or one who is convinced he
can't sing because the MD keeps telling him his techbnique is wrong ? I'm
not massively knowledgable on Godspell but the part is a screeming high
tenor isn't it ? Maybe if you stop him pulling up his larynx and squeezing
his throat (or whatever he's doing) you'll find he's _really_ a bass. Then
you'll be well stuffed ! (English expression, probably needs translating
into something rude off-list.)
Maybe now is the time to start saying
"Yes that's much better."
"You've the best voice we've had for ages, I wouldn't have given you the
part if you couldn't do it."
"Well sung, I really enjoyed your rehearsal today."

Kevin

emusic.com