Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  <peggyh@i...>
<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Dec 14, 2001  8:09 pm
Subject:  Re: reading music

Laurence Helleu wrote:

>Does anywone know of great opera singers who cannot read music ? >Isn't it
Pavarotti's case ? Thanks !

I believe Pavrotti reads music - he just doesn't sight-read very well.

In any event, reading music may not be the most important thing. See soprano
and good sight-reader Renee Fleming's comments on the subject in her
conversation with Broadway and Cabaret singer Barbara Cook, which ran in Opera
News. Here's a link to the article (which I posted here a couple of weeks ago).

(If you've never heard Barbara Cook's rendition of Glitter and Be Gay on the
Candide cast album, give it a try. No other singer I have ever heard has sung
that piece as well as she sang it, and that includes plenty of
internationally-reknowned opera singers.)

(The older I get, the more I agree with her and others on how important it is
for somebody singing opera to take time to work music into one's voice.)

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15923 Re: reading music Dré de Man   Sat  12/15/2001   2 KB

emusic.com