Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Dec 10, 2001  12:33 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Comic Songs for Soprano

"Fair Robin I Loved" from Kirke Mechem's TARTUFFE

"Art is Calling for Me (I want to be a prima donna)" from Victor Herbert's
THE ENCHANTRESS

"The Doleful Prima-Donna" from Karl Milloecker's DER ARME JONATHAN

"I Hate Men" from Cole Porter's KISS ME KATE

"The Simple Joys of Maidenhood" from Lerner & Loewe's CAMELOT

"Dear pretty youth" from Henry Purcell's THE TEMPEST, Z.631

"Ah! Quel diner" from Jacques Offenbach's LA PERICHOLE - Offenbach's other
operettas are also chock full of funny songs - take a look at THE GRAND
DUCHESS OF GEROLSTEIN, ORPHEUS IN THE UNDERWORLD, and LA BELLE HELENE, to
name the better known ones.

"Una donna a quindici anni" from Mozart's COSI FAN TUTTE

"Durch Zaertlichkeit und Schmeicheln" from Mozart's DIE ENTFUEHRUNG AUS
DEM SERAIL

"Wit and jovial spirits" (Mrs. Ford's recit & aria) from Otto Nicolai's
THE MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR

Lady Billows' arias from Britten's ALBERT HERRING

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
Verdi and Wagner delighted the crowds
With their highly original sound.
The pianos they played are still working,
But they're both six feet underground.
- Michael Palin

emusic.com