Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Dec 9, 2001  3:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] balanced onset; does it really exist?

In a message dated 12/8/2001 2:24:56 PM Central Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:

> In a message dated 12/8/2001 10:51:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> buzzcen@a... writes:
>
> << A balanced onset exists when the prephonatory tuning of the vocal folds
> is
> such that only narrow slit exists before the release of the airstream. >>
>
> randy,
>
> is there more to this than just thinking of the pitch before singing?
>
> mike

Well, I'm not convinced that just by thinking about it you'll achieve it. In
many singers deficiencies exist that preclude them from accomplishing this
and they need to be addressed first. For example some females truly have
problems getting the posterior portion of the folds to adduct so exercises
like creaky voice need to be used first to strengthen the muscles of
adduction.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com