Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Laurence Helleu <laurence.helleu@f...>
Date:  Fri Dec 7, 2001  2:13 pm
Subject:  writing a book

Hi everybody ! I'm quite new on the vocalist group, I just sent one message
recently, probably quite silly, which was called Œhearing ones 'voiceš. But
I omitted to tell you who I am : a French musicologist, working at the CNRS
(National center of scientific research). I am currently writing a book- to
be published by Actes Sud - about the mounting of a production in an opera
house. It covers all professions (stage design, costume design, make up,
orchestra, chor, scene, etc., and of course singers. It's not about the
conception of a production, but its realisation (a technical point of view).
It is a very difficult book to write.
Actually, I'm writing about the study of a new role with a coach (pianist).
I read Joan Dornemann's book. I spoke with several coaches. And I had the
opportunity to assist at two lessons that Jean-Philippe Lafont took when he
was preparing for Macbeth in the Opera Bastille in Paris. But I feel like if
I don't know enough. You know, to write about the chor, I stayed with them
during three weeks, and that was great.
So I'm hoping some of you could help me. Then I could prepare my questions.
For instance, I need examples of little arrangements allowed by tradition,
which can help the singer technically but are of course in the musical
style. They must come from well-known operas.
SoŠ thank you, and please forgive my bad english.
Laurence
P.S. Most of my information thus far has come from the Opera Bastille, where
I know a lot of people. May be I can help some of you if you need
informations !

emusic.com