Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Wed Dec 5, 2001  6:50 pm
Subject:  Re: Signs of a good voice teacher

> Other
> things an opera singer
> needs are acting skill, language fluency, stage
> sense, audition skill,
> personal grooming, charm, organizational skills,
> etc. (What am I missing
> folks?)

I'd add knowledge about operas. Read some books on
opera history (and general music history so you can
put the composers and their styles into perspectives -
this can really help your interpretation), take a look
at scores from various operas along with (good)
translations of the librettos, listen to recordings of
operas done by a wide variety of singers and
conductors. After all, if it is to be your profession,
it'd be good to know something about it! And this way,
if someone who makes hiring decisions asks if you can
sing a certain role, you should be able to answer
because you'll know what they're talking about.

Jennifer