Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Wed Dec 5, 2001  2:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] mike's imagery...?

In a message dated 12/5/2001 6:36:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sandra@b... writes:
sandra@b... writes:

<< Sigh. My sensation is pretty much laryngeal (above the collar bone.) Just
when I thought I was relating. To quote Homer S. "dote!". Actually, I also
breath fairly low, thanks to years of yoga. >>

sandra,

don't worry about it. if things are working and that image works for
you, even if it is totally different from how i view it, that's fine. the
images voice teachers use are not singing, they are just a view of singing.
where it wouldn't work is if you were trying to teach someone else how to do
what you do using that same image, hoping the image would get the point
across. if that student views things differently from you, they'll never
get it. for example: i used to have students sing in head voice and chest
voice on the same notes. i would then ask them where they 'sensed' both
voices then, i would have them 'sing in both places at once'. the reports
of where each student felt each voice were always different. of course,
there were some common reports but, it was unpredictable what each student
would come up with. i had one student who said she heard her head voice in
her left ear and her chest voice in her right ear so, i told her to 'sing in
both ears', getting the desired result. if i told every student i had to
sing in both ears, i'd be working in a bookstore now, instead of teaching.

mike

emusic.com