Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Wed Dec 5, 2001  5:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] mike's imagery...?

<< Ok, so the third possibility would also be the technique we women are
taught
to use in labor when we "push"? If I'm understanding this correctly? >>

yes laura, that third possibility is the what you would do if you were
giving birth (said i, as if i had given birth). jerome hines once described
it as being like struggling to defecate. none of the sounds produced in
either of these situations is desirable in most styles of vocal music (no
slight on screamin' jay hawkins intended).

<< And we're looking for something right in the middle as correct breath
management? >>

yes. and, in the middle would be between grunting and just blowing out
air with out any resistance at all. vennard compares the vocal folds to the
brass player's use of his/her lips. on lower notes, especially on a tuba,
the lips are very slack and it takes a fair amount of wind to get them
flapping. on higher notes, particularly the french horn or, trumpet, the
lips are very tight so greater air pressure is required to vibrate the lips,
even though less air will pass through them. so, the 'in between' is a
floating 'in between'.

<< Just trying to get myself clear on this. >>

don't take my word for it. by all means, read the books; vennard,
bunch, miller, etc. my only problem with a lot of these books is that the
prejudices of the authors are intertwined with the information (less so with
bunch). to my mind, the science of how the voice works should be kept
seperate from the art of what to do with it.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
15748 Re: mike's imagery...?Deal Diva Laura   Wed  12/5/2001

emusic.com