Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Sandra" <sandra@b...>
Date:  Wed Dec 5, 2001  3:31 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] mike's imagery...?

> yes, sandra, i often compare sub-glottal pressure to the sensation of
> 'pushing a beach ball underwater'. i also think that this is the same
> sensation that is described as 'on the breath'.
>
> mike

OK, sub-glottal pressure is a concept that still I don't understand, nor
have I yet gotten "singing on the breath." Let me tell you what I *think*
is happening when I relate to the "beach ball" feeling, if you will indulge
me ;> I think I am stabilizing my larynx so that it doesn't drop extremely
low. (Forcing my larynx too low is a problem I have needed to correct from
day one.) It feels like perhaps I am using stabilizing muscles of some sort
to keep the larynx relatively stable. But I swear, somehow it *feels* like
that beachball sensation (pushing a beachball under water and feeling the
water resist.) What ever I am doing, although it FEELS LIKE PUSHING
SOMETHING GENTLY DOWN with gentle resistance, it is a paradox in that it
appears to have the effect of preventing me from forcing my larynx down with
much more pressure than necessary.

Does this make sense related to the concept of "singing on the breath"? If
it is something entirely different, would you or anyone out there care to
give me a non-technical description of what "sub-glottal pressure" is?
Emphasis on "non-technical" (As my mother would say, "I buy you books and
buy you books, and all you do is eat the covers...)

Sandra

emusic.com