Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Mon Dec 3, 2001  11:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Effects of bars/nightclubs

In a message dated 12/3/2001 4:40:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
laura@d... writes:

> I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like the effects of second-hand smoke
> might be taking its tole on your vocal chords.

True...however, I'd be more inclined to believe it might be the overuse of
your voice under those circumstances. Smoke, loud talking and music,
alcohol...all these things take a toll, of course, but I am inclined to think
that the talking in the club might be the culprit. Tom might not realize
that he is speaking over all that noise, and in so doing, may not be using
his voice properly. The same result happens often from talking in the car
during a long trip, or over the noise of a bus, etc. It's all vocal fatigue.
Certainly the smoke and the alcohol do not help.

Lynda Lacy, Soprano
Vocal Music, Hilton Head Preparatory School
Hilton Head Island, SC

"Let your voice serve the music, and not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

emusic.com