Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  luccatom@y...
Date:  Mon Dec 3, 2001  9:28 pm
Subject:  Effects of bars/nightclubs

Hi,

I have a rather obvious question about the effect that bars and clubs
have on the voice. I know that they are detrimental to the voice
(cigaratte smoke, alcohol and shouting over noise), but what I am
wondering is how long should the voice take to recover from this. I
tend to go to a rather noisy bar once almost every weekend for 3-4
hours and my voice does get a bit tired and a touch hoarse after the
night is over. How long should it take to recover? I tend to have a
little trouble singing for 5-6 days after the event, and lately (from
doing it almost every weekend, I feel like I have lost the "ring" in
my voice, more phlegm tends to build up, there is a tiny bit of pain
in my vocal cords when I vocalize (for the first 2-3 days). My big
concern is that I feel like I am losing the "ring"; the full sound
that my voice has (Im a lyric, classically trained baritone). Even
if I give it a days rest, the ring doesnt come back. How long do I
need to rest the voice to typically get the ring back. My speaking
voice is fine, it's just my singing voice is not as flexible and
full. Also, is everyday speaking detrimental, or does the voice need
to be rested completely (I need to speak at work, but not too much).
I just feel like its becoming a chronic thing (and Im only 32!)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Tom Lucca

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
15677 Re: Effects of bars/nightclubsJohn Link   Mon  12/3/2001
15678 Re: Effects of bars/nightclubsDeal Diva Laura   Mon  12/3/2001
15680 Re: Effects of bars/nightclubsLYNDA313@a...   Mon  12/3/2001
15688 Re: Effects of bars/nightclubsIan Belsey   Tue  12/4/2001
15695 Re: Effects of bars/nightclubslolipastor@a...   Tue  12/4/2001
15700 Re: Effects of bars/nightclubsKevin Hollis   Tue  12/4/2001
15701 Re: Effects of bars/nightclubsODivaTina@a...   Tue  12/4/2001
15706 Re: Effects of bars/nightclubsImthurn Melinda   Tue  12/4/2001
15710 Re: Effects of bars/nightclubsMezzoid@a...   Tue  12/4/2001

emusic.com