Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Mon Dec 3, 2001  9:20 pm
Subject:  Re: Aspects of love

Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...> wrote:
>I'm planning on doing an "aspects of love" theme -
>exploring things like wanting to be in love, falling
>in love, falling out of love, losing a loved one,
>feelings about being in love, etc. I'm a full lyric
>soprano with a good high C, a decent middle and lower
>range (but I prefer not to hang out there for extended
>periods of time) and a fair amount of flexibility
>(although I'm definitely not a coloratura). Since the
>audiences I'll be targeting include people who aren't
>overly familiar with opera, I'd like to do arias or
>art songs that have nice melodies or have some other
>appeal (strong emotion, for example). Nothing atonal
>:o). I wouldn't mind doing one or two lesser known
>arias/songs, but the majority should be fairly
>familiar.
>
>Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Jennifer, off to find a good pianist

Jennifer,
I don't know if you're looking to take on an entire song cycle or
not, but you might look at Schumann's _Frauenliebe und Leben_, which
follows a women from the first moments of love for the man through marriage
& motherhood to the man's death. Schumann did miracles with what is often
considered second-rate poetry.

Leslie J.

"This will be our reply to violence:
to make music more intensely, more beautifully,
more devotedly than ever before!"
- Leonard Bernstein
Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; contralto
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Music