Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Dec 3, 2001  3:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Stupid Question... Tenors or Baritones?

In a message dated 12/3/2001 9:50:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dalila@R... writes:
dalila@R... writes:

<< I don't have any doubt that Domingo is and always was a tenor. His timbre
is NOT particularly baritonal, compared as you say to Vinay (who may not
have been a true tenor, in any case), or Melchior, or his own protege Jose
Cura. >>

karen,

the judgement of timbre remains relative and, a matter of opinion. i
challenge anyone to come up with objective criteria that would prove domingo
an absolute tenor. we can call him a tenor but, that doesn't require him to
sing everything labeled tenor. we could go on to require him to only sing
that which is in his fach but, what is his fach? is bass-baritone
legitimate and baritone-tenor not?

<< Domingo's problem has always been a technical one - and it's
incredibly visible when you watch him close up - he developed a bad habit
with his tongue very early in his vocal career - a habit he is, in fact,
quite aware of, and which he regrets, but which - like some people with
smoking - he has never been able to overcome - which sets up all sorts of
tensions when he "goes for" his top notes, and as a result, has probably
shaved at least a whole note off his potential top. >>

maybe, but to me, he sounds as if he's just running out of room. most
'card carrying tenors' can get to those higher notes, good, bad and ugly.
in other words, no matter how badly they sing, the notes are there. on the
other hand, there are singers, like hampson, who, because of their technique,
are capable of singing higher than they need to. leo nucci did weirder
things with his tongue than anyone i have ever seen and he had tons of top.

at any rate, domingo does seem happier in the role of dramatic tenor.

mike

emusic.com