Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Nov 29, 2001  6:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Simple Duet for Baritone and Contralto

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Vivianhart@h... wrote:

> My husband and I have been asked to sing a duet at a local concert. I'm a
> trained singer (contralto) and my husband is an untrained baritone who sings
> in choirs. He reads music - just.
>
> Could someone recommend a fairly simple - romantic or comic - duet that
> would be fun for a spring concert?
>
> Thanks a bunch for your help!
>
> Vivian
> Gabriola Island, BC

"Things are seldom what they seem" from Gilbert & Sullivan's HMS PINAFORE

"With so Little to be Sure of" from Sondheim's ANYONE CAN WHISTLE

"Do you love me?" from Bock & Harnick's FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

"Wunderbar" from Cole Porter's KISS ME KATE

Depending on your comfort level (tessitura-wise, range-wise) you might
also do "La ci darem la mano" from Mozart's LE NOZZE DI FIGARO, or "Lippen
Schweigen" (The Merry Widow Waltz) from Lehar's DIE LUSTIGE WITWE.

There's also a lovely, less well known duet from Massenet's DON QUICHOTTE
- "Oui je souffre votre tristesse". This may suit you quite well, if your
husband has good lower register, because the bulk of the singing is done
by Dulcinee (the contralto), and the music for Don Quichotte in the duet
is rather easier than that for Dulcinee.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
Verdi and Wagner delighted the crowds
With their highly original sound.
The pianos they played are still working,
But they're both six feet underground.
- Michael Palin

emusic.com