Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Fri May 12, 2000  4:15 pm
Subject:  And the music keeps going round, and round...

List,
When I sing a role, the music and words go round and round in my head even
when I don't want them to. After the end of a run of performances the only
thing that quietens the mind, apart from a whole bunch of time, is new
material to work on.
How do people have lives as well as be singers when they have many, or
huge roles to sing? I'm thinking of James Morris, who has been singing the
immense role of Wotan for a couple of decades, here and there, as well as
other things, and the very unusual Placido Domingo, who knows more roles
than there are good operas.
Are there any seasoned singers on the list who can share with me (us)
strategies for keeping roles in the mind while getting on with other bits
of life? john

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada