Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Jennifer Sherley <voiceslp@y...>
Jennifer Sherley <voiceslp@y...>
Date:  Wed Nov 28, 2001  11:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Caring for the voice

I thought I'd better chime in on topic this before it
gets too old. :)

Excessive talking can certainly lead to a vocal
pathology. My first suggestion to you is to make an
appointment with a speech & language pathologist who
is knowledgeable about voice issues. Nothing beats
face to face when talking about voice. This person
can evaluate your use of voice and work with you to
produce healthy voice and/or make suggestions with
regard to modifying your daily vocal load.

Secondly, and in addition to the other good tips
already posted, I can recommend 2 basic & brief points
re: excessive talking lifted from a vocal hygiene
protocol as prescribed by the Univ. of IA voice
clinic.
**schedule vocal "naps." Observe 20 minutes of
silence, 2-3 times per day or 10-15 min/hour. It's
helpful to wear an alarm watch to remind you.
**limit the amount of time on the telephone. When
using the phone, make sure your head remains in an
upright, centered position for proper respiratory
support.

-Jennifer