Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  uduncan@h...
uduncan@h...
Date:  Wed Nov 28, 2001  7:43 pm
Subject:  Onset of sound

Hi Everyone,

I've been enjoying reading this board for a while and I've finally
signed up to participate.

I have a question about the onset of sound. I'm a soprano and for the
past 10 months I've been re-working my technique with a new teacher.
I am finally letting go of a lot of tongue tension that has been my
main problem...however, I haven't yet figured out how to start the
sound without pressing down on my larynx with my tongue. I guess
that I have associated making a sound by using my tongue(it's the
same when I speak).

Basically, I try to take a relaxed breath, make sure that my tongue
is out of my throat and then, I try to begin the sound below my
throat...trying to feel the connection with my breath in my back;
then, I then think of sound and I automatically press with my
tongue... arrrggghhh! I guess what's most frustrating is that I can
imagine the correct feeling but I can't seem to produce the correct
feeling.

I would love it if anyone out there has any analogies or thoughts on
how I could approach this problem.

Thanks again

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15571 Re: Onset of sound Daniel Presgrave   Wed  11/28/2001   3 KB
15572 Re: Onset of sound Suki Jantzen   Wed  11/28/2001   3 KB
15573 Re: Onset of sound Karen Mercedes   Wed  11/28/2001   2 KB
15575 Re: Onset of sound Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  11/29/2001   3 KB
15612 Re: Onset of sound Imthurn Melinda   Fri  11/30/2001   3 KB
15621 Re: Onset of sound Greypins@a...   Sat  12/1/2001   2 KB

emusic.com