Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "brian" <brigo@m...>
"brian" <brigo@m...>
Date:  Tue Nov 27, 2001  8:00 pm
Subject:  Imperfect Perfect Pitch

I am finding the perfect pitch discussion very interesting.
I have always wanted to have PP, or at least be able to recall at least 1
reference note.

In traditional Judaism, musical instruments are forbidden on the Sabbath
(Saturday). Traditional Cantors have to get their pitch some other way!
Pitch pipes are out, because they are considered musical instruments.
Tuning forks are controversial, and these days, most traditional (ie
"Orthodox") Cantors do not use them on Saturday.

I have good relative pitch, so all I need is one reference pitch to get me
started. I have resorted to all kinds of things to get my pitch on the
Sabbath. My favorite was "pitching the appliances"! In one synagogue where
I was the Cantor, I listened to the electric fan, the refrigerator in the
Synagogue kitchen, the air conditioner, etc. During the week, I figured out
what pitch each was humming on, using a tuning fork. Obviously, the pitch
wasn't exact, so I would hear up or down a bit, but it worked pretty well.
On the Sabbath, I would concentrate on whichever appliance was on, depending
on the season!

About 10 years ago, I discovered the BULOVA ACCUTRON watch. They don't make
them any more, but you can still get them from collectors. The watch is
driven by a teeeny weeeny tuning fork, so the watch hums. Wrist watches are
OK on the Sabbath, so now I just hold my accutron to my ear.

It hums one quarter tone below f sharp! I used to try to hear up the quarter
tone to F sharp, but now, I don't bother. So, now I sing everything based
on the "Fsharp-minus one quarter tone".

After ten years of using it, I can recall the pitch in my mind, but only if
I put my finger to outer ear!! My mind thinks that the watch is touching my
ear, and my mind recalls that "F sharp-minus one quarter tone"!

So, now I have imperfect perfect pitch, for one note. And then, only with my
finger in my ear!

I hope God appreciates all the trouble I have through, just to sing nicely!
Brian Shanblatt
Belz School of Jewish Music
Instructor and Coach
Yeshiva University