Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Deal Diva Laura" <laura@d...>
Date:  Sat Nov 24, 2001  6:09 am
Subject:  looking for yet another piece of music...

I know, I know...this must be getting old. I'm sorry. I'm just trying to
look for something for myself now.

In trying to put together my rep for next years Met Auditions I'm trying to
come up with the ideal aria in English. Unfortunately, my favs are done to
death and my teacher and I are both of the same opinion that the lesser
known works can be the most effective (and she judges a lot of competitions
all over the country so I tend to hold her opinion in high regard on this
topic - she says the judges often times just can barely stomach hearing the
same aria done over and over and over and over and...well you get the idea).
So, that now leaves out one of my very favorite arias to perform: No Word
From Tom. It also eliminates other favs such as "Steal Me Sweet Thief", The
Letter Song, Glitter & Be Gay and a couple of others I'm just not recalling
at the moment.

Now, I understand that there's some book available that helps a person to
cross-reference the arias and roles, etc. that would be appropriate for
various voice types - for me I'd look up soubrette, lyric coloratura, light
lyric coloratura, lyrico leggeiro (sp?) and try and find commonalities in
all of those. But I don't know the name of this book in order to find it,
and I suspect it's fairly expensive at that.

I looked at Ariel's aria from Hoiby's The Tempest, but that has a high F in
it and well, I don't think I've had that note since I was a teenager. So
that eliminates that lovely thing.

I'd definitely be open to lesser known, but exciting and fun arias by Handel
(or any other early earlier music composer - like Purcell) although I
suspect most of Handels are in Italian.

I've got access to the USC music library and several other really good
libraries if I know what I'm looking for, so any suggestions that can be
sent my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Laura

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
15495 Re: looking for yet another piece of music...Naomi Gurt Lind   Sat  11/24/2001
15496 Re: looking for yet another piece of music...Margaret Harrison   Sat  11/24/2001
15498 Re: looking for yet another piece of music...Sheila Graham   Sun  11/25/2001
15500 Re: looking for yet another piece of music...lolipastor@a...   Sun  11/25/2001
15506 Re: looking for yet another piece of music...Sally Collyer   Sun  11/25/2001
15519 Re: looking for yet another piece of music...Karen Mercedes   Mon  11/26/2001
15521 Re: looking for yet another piece of music...Imthurn Melinda   Mon  11/26/2001
15501 Re: looking for yet another piece of music...lolipastor@a...   Sun  11/25/2001
15520 Re: looking for yet another piece of music...Imthurn Melinda   Mon  11/26/2001

emusic.com