Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Terry Mitchell" <tmitche2@t...>
"Terry Mitchell" <tmitche2@t...>
Date:  Fri Nov 23, 2001  9:20 pm
Subject:  My ? re: Perfect pitch, solfege, etc.

Hi. I've found this topic very interesting. Although I understand to some
degree why solfege is taught, wouldn't it be better to learn intervals using
the note names, i.e., "a", "b", etc.? Of course, I also realize that the
solfege has the differentiation for the accidentals, and I understand the
movable "do" system.

However, I get terribly confused jumping around (arpeggios, for example)
trying to remember if I'm on la or ti, even though I can say the syllables
frontwards and backwards. It just seems that it would be so much easier to
learn using the note names. Also, the solfege book I am using does tell us
to practice using not only syllables, but note names, "and" even using
numbers (1, 3, 5, 3, 1).

Thanks for listening.
Terry

emusic.com