Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Thu Nov 22, 2001  12:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] perfect pitch to Marc and Kirsty

Marc, although the possessor of perfect pitch, I will
sing flat if I'm tired and not concentrating.
Otherwise it's fine and dandy; not something I bother
about particularly. I have an excellent ear so it's
just that I sing dead in the centre and slightly above
the note if you will!?

Kirsty, I'm glad you enjoy what I've got to say
(sometimes it's gobbledegook, sometimes I think it's
worthwhile!! Heheh!)

I have to say, I've no idea about piano tuners and
perfect pitch. I obviously have a tuner, so next time
he comes I'll ask him!

Well, as I said above, re. tuning your ear to the note
you're singing and slightly above; thats what I do and
it works ok. With your question about a piano tuned to
a different hz, my original piano was tuned to
continental pitch. I don't know if you know, but about
a hundred years or so ago, the pitch for tuning in
Europe was a semi tone lower than it is now, and
singers considered London a hard job because the pitch
was already higher so A was at 440. Now, it used to
drive me mad seeing a piece of music, then singing it
with my piano and hearing the accompaniment as a semi
tone lower than I knew it should be. So, my answer to
that is, it would be possible to have an 'out of tune'
perfect pitch if you like, but provided you have
access to other sounds ie orchestras playing, pop
tunes on the radio, it would be less likely (I think!)

I think this one counts as gobbledegook!!! All I can
say re. PP is that it's not particularly useful unless
you want to show off in the interval telling everybody
what the stratospheric notes of the soprano was!! Not
that I do that of course!!

I'm far busier (as I'm sure most of the esteemed
people on this list are) trying to make the most
beautiful sound I can!!

Best wishes,

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!

Music Charts

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
15474 Re: perfect pitch to Marc and KirstyMarc de Montjoux   Thu  11/22/2001
15477 Re: perfect pitch to Marc and KirstyIan Belsey   Fri  11/23/2001
15478 Re: perfect pitch to Marc and KirstyMarc de Montjoux   Fri  11/23/2001
15483 Re: perfect pitch to Marc and KirstyIan Belsey   Fri  11/23/2001
15515 Re: perfect pitch to IanMarc de Montjoux   Mon  11/26/2001
15549 Imperfect Perfect Pitchbrian   Tue  11/27/2001

emusic.com