Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Nande" <denanny@h...>
Date:  Thu Nov 22, 2001  11:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] perfect pitch

I don't know about perfect pitch being a learn-only thing.

When I was 6 or 7, my music teacher (basic music, just notes, keys, a
little song, general instrument-preparation) told me I had perfect
pitch. Never knew what he meant by that, until quite recently.

Yes, I could play virtually anything I heard when I played the
violin. My music-reading was lousy, to say the least, but I could
perfectly match anything I heard.
To me, it had more to do with good memory rather than perfect
pitch....

As a singer, I'm also a good 'matcher', but to tell you the truth, I
can't tell a 'g' from a 'b' when I hear them played on, say, a piano.
I can however usually sing a 'g' (or any note) when so asked. But I
think that's because of memory (both tone and 'feel' of the tone do
the trick), mainly.

I think I can develop some sort of 'perfect pitch', simply by
training my matching 'skills' backwards. But do I really want to do
that? No, I don't think so. I don't think I need it, my 'matching'
already made ma a lazy reader

Okay, I'm wandering off now. What I meant to say is that I think
perfect pitch is something that can be learned, but only if you have
the 'talent', or memory or something.

Nande

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...> wrote:

> All musicians I've ever met have relative pitch: I
> don't know who it was on the vocalist who said about
> finding out what the note was instincively and calling
> that relative pitch: it isn't you know. Perfect pitch
> is not a gift, just a learning thing!
>
> If you put a student in a room for a week and played C
> major over and over, the student wouldn't forget it,
> and would have, if you, like perfect pitch. To say
> you're born with it, as is said is also rubbish, as
> then there must be lots of people who don't recognise
> they have it, and still sing like next door's dog!!!

emusic.com