Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Wed Nov 21, 2001  1:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] looking for song

In a message dated 11/20/01 1:51:04 PM, dalila@R... writes:

<<"Jesus Christ, Superstar", for example, mentions
Jesus but is not a song many folks would think of as sacred or even
religious, and many would consider *ir*religious.>>

<< Jesus is considered divine by CHristians, and so any
song celebrating his birth, ministry, death, or resurrection is a sacred
song. >>

Karen,

I sense a bit of a contradiction here...

Just because Jesus is considered divine doesn't make every song that
celebrates him sacred--the difference to my mind being one of degree and
intent. It's not easy to explain, but I'll try.

The "Jesus is my boyfriend" songs that are so popular with many Christians
today are not (in my considered opinion) sacred music, because of their
simple-mindedness and the sexual/romantic undertone of much of the music.
Although religious in intent, they unintentionally profane and trivialize
their subject matter.

I also don't find a song like "Maria Wiegenlied" to be sacred, although it is
religious in its orientation. It does mention Mary and Jesus, but they are in
a fantasy settng and could almost be any mother and child.

A work like Messiah, on the other hand, clearly identifies Jesus as the
Savior, and is both instructive and powerfully inspirational. It would be
difficult to classify it as anything but sacred.

Judy

emusic.com