Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...>
Date:  Sat Nov 17, 2001  11:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: Hoiby Statue of Liberty Song

>Laura asked:
>
>>Does anyone know the exact title of the Hoiby song or if it's in a songbook
>>of his or available separately? I'd very much like to find this piece.
>>

>I'm a big Hoiby fan and have the song you're asking of: It's in a collection
entitled: Lee Hoiby, Thirteen Songs, put out by G. Schirmer, Inc. and
distributed by Hal Leonard, 1998 Printing. ISBN 0-7935-4384-3.

>The name of the song is, as someone mentioned, "Lady of the Harbor" and it's a
wonderful piece. I bought it online from T.I.S. Vocal Music or, tismusic.com
(phone is 1-800-421-8132) There are a log of nice pieces in this collection.

Also consider, for a non-sacred Americana song, Leonard Bernstein's
"Take Care of this House (from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue), see Leonard
Bernstein Song Album, Boosey & Hawkes (1988). I've heard Frederica von
Stade do a wonderful performance of this piece. The words are by Alan
Jay Lerner and in some ways are all too a propos...:
"Take care of this house,
keep it from harm,
if bandits break in, sound the alarm,
Care for this house,
shine it by hand
and keep it so clean the glow can be seen all over the land,
Be careful at night,
check all the doors,
If someone makes off with a dream, the dream will be yours,
Take care of this house, be always on call,
for this house--is the hope of us all..."

>Indeed.

emusic.com