Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Yvonne Dechance" <ydechance@h...>
"Yvonne Dechance" <ydechance@h...>
Date:  Fri Nov 16, 2001  5:53 pm
Subject:  Re: NATS Membership

Kathryn asked "Are you a member of the National Association of Teachers of
Singing? If so, why?"

I applied for membership after I finished my graduate work. It seemed like a
logical step to me--as Diane said, many schools expect their faculty members
to join so their students can participate in the Student Adjudications, and
I'd started out singing in those very adjudications and knew how helpful
they can be. I've been a member ever since (both on faculty and teaching
privately), and now have the privilege of running the nats.org website.

Like any organization, you get out of it what you put into it. If someone
joins NATS and doesn't participate in any of its activities, that's their
choice. But with workshops and meetings, conventions, adjudications,
competitions, internships and fellowships, leadership positions,
publications, online discussions, and more, NATS offers many opportunities
for professional interaction and lifelong learning. The world of voice
teaching is smaller than many people realize, and involvement in NATS helps
to bring us even closer together as a community.

My 2 cents.

-y

_Dr. Yvonne Dechance
NATS Webmaster, http://www.nats.org/
Email: ydechance@s..., Homepage: http://www.scaredofthat.com/yworld/
The Diction Domain: Free voice diction resources for singers
http://over.to/dictiondomain