Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Thu May 11, 2000  9:13 pm
Subject:  Re:those who can't,teach

Hi Lisa M:
It's great to hear someone so enthusiastic about their
teaching. My first few years I thought that my teaching
was the fuel for my performing but as the years go
by I can relate to Beth's earlier post being somewhat
morose because she had just dealt with a difficult
student for an hour.
I do find that students aren't like they were even
10 years ago (in a general sense). There are many more
missed lessons (trips during school;conflicts with the
other numerous activies they have;parents work schedules
and they can't get a ride)which can become frustrating.
Also, I am seeing more and more students who really
don't know what a committment is.
As a teacher I am still dedicated, nurturing, punctual,
reliable,encouraging,fun,part-councellor sometimes and
giving my 100% so my expectations that I will receive
that from all of my students is sometimes altered and
that can be very draining.
We have to find a way to release it and I have found
that in writing plays and musicals. I also am a firm
believer that if you aren't performing enough you need
to make your own opportunities and get out there and
do it. The longer you put it off, the harder it is and the
more bitter you can become.
I live in a city of approx. 120.,000 people and there
are some real cliques here. It's frustrating to see the
same people performing when the general concensus is
that people don't really care for their singing but for one
reason or another they have gotten themselves connected
with a group or individual to ensure themselves jobs.
Well..I could sit around and crab about it or I can find
other ways to perform and that's what I have done.
Jacqueline
www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre)
"There's no business like show business"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1557 Re: those who can't,teach =?iso-8859-1?q?beth=20christe   Fri  5/12/2000   3 KB

emusic.com