Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  lolipastor@a...
lolipastor@a...
Date:  Wed Nov 14, 2001  7:08 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Appriopriate Gig Material and Pay Scale????

Trevor--

Good background music is stuff like slow Handel (even if it's not for your
voice part--these people don't know that, they just know the tunes--like
Ombra mai fu, for example); 24 italian hits, believe it or not; anything
slowish and pleasing. Don't do big dramatic arias or stuff with a lot of
melismas. The people will have trouble eating their dinners.

Yes, find an accompanist, and one who can fill time with piano music (again,
soft favorites, not Rachmaninoff) -- because you'll need to take a few
breaks. Trust me. I sing a 4 hour shift at an italian restaurant, and
you'll need to take a few breathers or you'll be dead the next day.

As for pay, it is customary for a dinner party such as this to ask $100 per
performer per hour. At least, that's the way it is in my neck of the woods.

Lauren

emusic.com