Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Tue Nov 13, 2001  9:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Appriopriate Gig Material and Pay Scale????

In a message dated 11/13/2001 3:04:16 PM Central Standard Time,
trevorjamesallen@y... writes:
trevorjamesallen@y... writes:

<< Now, my question is what other sort of thing is appriopriate for
background
music and what should I charge for this thing? Do I need to add an
accompanist fee on to this? If you can't tell, this is my first gig and I'm
excited about it, but pretty confused. >>

Well, find out how much your pianist is going to charge you and determine
your fee accordingly. If you have a pianist for whom this is a new
experience, you probably can go a little cheap this time -- I wouldn't charge
less than $125 -- maybe $100 if you really want the gig and they won't pay
more than that. Ideally, each of you should get $100, IMO.

As far as rep, probably stuff like "Sleigh Ride," "It's the most wonderful
time of the year," stuff like that would be appropriate. (Check out the Andy
Williams Christmas Album for rep like that!) This being a patriotic time,
you could probably throw in a few tasteful American songs to flesh out the
program.

I remember doing a Christmas quartet for a couple out in Mt. Airy, MD that
went all out -- hired a quartet to greet guests on the porch as the valets
parked their cars, had a band inside to entertain people (and we came in the
house and sang in areas away from the band so that there was music
everywhere), they had 3 trees elaborately decorated... but they were Jewish,
so the caveat was no Jesus songs. (!!!) Well, you run out of stuff after
awhile if you can't do ANY Jesus songs.... we knew the band was out of rep
when we heard them playing "Hail to the Redskins."

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"Pace, mio Dio, pace, mio Dio."
-- La forza del destino, Giuseppe Verdi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15320 Re: Appriopriate Gig Material and Pay Scale???? Margaret Harrison   Tue  11/13/2001   2 KB
15325 Re: Appriopriate Gig Material and Pay Scale???? lolipastor@a...   Wed  11/14/2001   2 KB
15327 Re: Appriopriate Gig Material and Pay Scale???? SMSchneider   Wed  11/14/2001   4 KB
15331 Re: pay scale and song suggestions Imthurn Melinda   Wed  11/14/2001   4 KB

emusic.com