Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@y...>
"Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@y...>
Date:  Tue Nov 13, 2001  12:45 pm
Subject:  Re: obsecure arias?

Your decision in part might be made on whether or not you
AUTOMATICALLY get to sing an additional piece. If not, I would
strongly recommend against singing something obscure first. It might
be all they want to hear!

I have been in this situation, and my experience is that if you do
something obscure, people are bound to think you are trying to hide
something. People who listen to auditions "talk out of both sides of
their mouths" in that they complain about singers having no
imagination in their repertoire choices, but then "tune out" if it's
something they don't know.

(They also complain that young singers sing "too big" then give first
place to someone singing two "Fachs" too heavy!)

emusic.com