Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Thu May 11, 2000  3:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Children's Career

In a message dated 5/11/00 6:08:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
MFoxy9795@a... writes:

<< Accounting is perhaps the exception, a field where you can step right out
with your bachelor's into a highly relevant job, which is probably why your
husband is reluctant to see her have a music major. . . . SNIP! . . . but it
is NO GOOD trying to force someone into a field like that if they don't have
the interest or aptitude for it. >>

When I was 18 and readying myself for college, I received an academic four
year full tuition scholarship to Temple U in Phila. I was studying guitar at
the time, as my goal was to be Chrissie Hynde. My guitar teacher offered to
prepare me for the Music School entrance exams, but I was too scared to do
it. I majored instead in Engineering, another major that allows for
immediate monetary return upon graduation.
So I graduated (taking music courses when I could and playing in bands), got
a job as an Engineer right away, started cranking the bucks. As I did this,
it became clear to me that I was living a backwards life, spending my
productive energy on something I cared nothing about and attempting to
channel my after hours energy on what I really cared about. A year and a
half later, I quit, moved to San Francisco, got state residency for a year,
and went to music school. And I have never looked back; as a matter of fact,
I will be making my solo debut at SF Opera this fall (small role, but a solo,
none the less!)
In other words, even if someone opts for something sensible, their true
essence will bubble to the surface if they allow it, and things will fall
into the place they were meant to be. . .with, of course, a lot of focused
effort to that end.
(PS. I still struggle with wanting to be the next Chrissie Hynde. . .)
TinaO

emusic.com