Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Martyn Clark <martyn@v...>
Martyn Clark <martyn@v...>
Date:  Fri Nov 9, 2001  7:21 pm
Subject:  Re: layers of sound anyone?

Kevin,

I think what you have found is called "vowels" ;o)

Vowel resonances tend to have a bandwidth of about 200Hz, so that if you
are looking at a narrowband spectrum, all you see are the gaps between
the resonances (formants) disappearing into the background.

Centre-frequency positions of the first two broad resonances (F1, F2 -
formants 1 and 2, not to be confused with the narrow harmonic lines (f1
and f2)) are approximately as follows (in Hertz):

Vowel F1 F2

/i/ 200-300 2000-3000
/e/ 400-700 1700-2200
/a/ 500-1000 1000-1700
/o/ 400-700 700-1000
/u/ 200-300 500-900

Note the pattern. the /o/ vowel will have a gap around 700 Hz, which if
you are low in your register (say, 100 Hz) will correspond to a gap
around the 7th Harmonic. Then after that, there will be a gap between
the 2nd and higher formants which tend in operatic male singing to hang
out about 2500-3000 Hertz. So there is likely to be a gap again at
harmonic 12 to harmonic 20. Sing higher, and the harmonics will move,
but the formants won't (as long as you keep the same vowel!).

Best way to look at this is to do an octave glide on /i/, and look at
the harmonics, and then look at the transition /a/-/e/-/i/-/o/-/u/, and
aim for consistency in everything other than the positions of the bright
bands (i.e. moving up and down only!

Martyn

>This one I'd like feedback on -
>Harmonics present up to about the 6th or 7th, then a black hole and the
>harmonics return at about the 12th through to the 15th. Particularly on an
>'o' vowel (as in orange). (Note: this will be very different from the

emusic.com