Vocalist.org archive

From:  MFoxy9795@a...
Date:  Thu May 11, 2000  12:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Children's Career

I agree with many others on this list who say to let your daughter major in
voice, particularly so if she is talented. Personally, I think it ultimately
does not matter much what one's college major is as far as future work is
concerned, so she might as well do the thing she loves and is good at. The
main thing about college is learning HOW to learn in whatever discipline you
choose. I really don't think the main purpose of a college education is, or
should be, to get you a livelihood, anyway. Maybe that is a very idealistic
view.

As others said, she can pick up computer skills along the way to earn a
livelihood if she needs to, but at least get the first year touch typing
course in HS to learn that basic skill, which is necessary for everyone
nowadays.

Accounting is perhaps the exception, a field where you can step right out
with your bachelor's into a highly relevant job, which is probably why your
husband is reluctant to see her have a music major. (my oldest daughter is
graduating with a bachelors in accounting this month and has many interviews
lined up for jobs that will pay around 30K to start!, unlike psych majors and
so on. my middle daughter has an associates in accounting and also can get
jobs readily.) but it is NO GOOD trying to force someone into a field like
that if they don't have the interest or aptitude for it.

I was an organ major, but since college, in addition to organist jobs, i have
also worked as a medical and technical writer and German-Engllish translator,
also at times as a medical transcriptionist. I have had many temp office
and tech writer jobs, and whatever computer and word processing skills i have
were learned on these jobs. Some years ago I (started to) learn to do
medical transcription in a temp job in a hospital pathology office when they
had absolutely nobody else to do it. i just picked up the headphones and
began. (MY POINT IS, i didn't need to take college courses for it.)

so the bottom line is, as Joseph Campbell would say, FOLLOW YOUR BLISS!!!

Merry Foxworth

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1528 Re: Children's Career ODivaTina@a...   Thu  5/11/2000   3 KB

emusic.com