Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Nov 8, 2001  2:57 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] layers of sound anyone?

lea ann,

here is the url for a site you can download, for free, a spectral
analysis program http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/gram/voice.html
'vocevista' real time is the free download. this particular program allows
you to freeze and compare two samples as well as seeing a real time analysis
of whatever sound you are making. (you may have seen examples of spectral
analysis if you have seen any of richard miller's books.)

if i'm remembering correctly, you're new to all of this? anyway, this
program can show you what fundamental and which overtones you are producing
and, at what strength. even if it is a total mystery to you, it can be
helpful to have a visual idea of what's going on. one of my students brings
his laptop to his lesson so we can use it while the lesson is going on. in
my opinion, it is not the answer but, i have to admit it can be a very useful
tool (i used to think it was silly).

you will need a microphone (any cheap computer microphone will probably
do, for now). you could compare the recordings you have to what you do and
get some idea of what's going on.

mike

emusic.com