Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Thu Nov 8, 2001  2:53 am
Subject:  re: opera auditions & local singers

Lea Ann wrote:

>Oh it willbe a LONG LONG time before I am ready to audition for even a
>chorus role. I am finding all the local audition guidlines so
>interesting. I am glad to hear that some companies will allow local
>people to audition for their principle roles..I just thought our web site)
>Kansas City Lyric Opera sounded VERY cold toward local people. It's nice
>to hear it isn't like that everywhere. Is it uncommon to hold principle
>auditions only in New York City? That's the bit I though was so strange.

Nope. Most of the big auditions are held in NY, which is why most singers
who have operatic aspirations spend a lot of time in NY. The exception,
audition-wise, is the house audition but those are generally by invitation
and arranged through a manager. That would be a situation where the
company wants to hear you in their home opera house because you're being
considered for a specific role and they don't have a NY thing planned.
(Usually the less common voice types, i.e. the holes they didn't fill when
they heard the NY auditions.) I wouldn't say that LOKC's policy sounds any
more tough on local singers than most other regional companies.

NGL

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
18588 Site for singers o o   Mon  4/8/2002   2 KB

emusic.com