Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Lea Ann" <LeaAnn@k...>
"Lea Ann" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Tue Nov 6, 2001  11:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Kansas City Lyric Opera

The Washington Opera holds chorus auditions in the spring
for all the following season's operas. It's a very big deal
around here. Anyone can sign up to audition for the chorus,
though the ad specifies people who have studied opera vocal
technique.

Peggy that sounds so much more approachable than the criteria set by The Kansas
City Lyric Opera. Their web site says:
The Lyric Opera holds annual auditions for principal roles in New York City in
December and/or January for casting operas scheduled for the following year.
These auditions are by appointment only (either through management or
individual-arranged).

Supporting roles are generally cast from either the Lyric Opera's AGMA
ensembles or the Middle-America Opera Apprentice Program.

The Lyric Opera will hear artists in Kansas City throughout the year, when the
theater is available, but that is often difficult to arrange and the artist
must furnish his or her own accompanist. Prior confirmation of such scheduling
of auditions in the theater is needed.

Doesn't sound very approachable does it? It seems strange to me that all the
principle roles are auditioned for in New York. Seems like he people here in
the Midwest part of the US should support talent here in the Midwest. Hmmm
anyway I am glad to know that other cities support local people. I think
that's very important.

Lea Ann

emusic.com