Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
"Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
Date:  Sun Nov 4, 2001  10:15 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Russian choral diction, anyone?

Joel Figen wrote: I have been asked to assist an American church choir in
Russian pronunciation. I haven't seen the scores they will sing, and I don't
even know yet whether they'll be mainly folk, popular, or classical.

[Kathryn Thickstun Leff]
Dear Joel:

Your first question must be whether they will be singing liturgical music
or secular music. If it is liturgical, the lyrics are likely to be in
church slavonic rather than in modern Russian. If the lyrics are in church
slavonic, the vowels are mostly Italianate. I highly recommend checking
with www.musicarussica.com . Vladimir Morosan has developed a very usable
transliteration system for Russian and Church Slavonic.

Regards,
Kate Leff
Director
The Choir of St. George Serbian Orthodox Church
(And diction coach in Church Slavonic for the San Diego Master Chorale.)

emusic.com