Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Nov 3, 2001  1:24 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Not-terribly Christian Christmas music?

Lana Mountford wrote:

> OOOOOoooo -- Rutter has a solo "Gloria"? I'm familiar with the Rutter
> Gloria for SSAATB (the community chorus I sing with is doing it this
> year for our Christmas concert, along with the Bach "Magnificat" and
> some carols from the Oxford book), but I wasn't aware that he'd done a
> solo Gloria as well! That could be very interesting! Do you have any
> other info on it?

Lana, I think this writer may be referring to the service
music Gloria by Rutter that's in the Episcopal Hymnal,
number S-236. It's a single line, with a descant on the
last verse. I suppose it could be done as a solo, but I
think it would needs an organ to get the full effect. I
never thought of it as something I'd ever want to sing as a
solo, however. It's designed so the congregation can sing
it, too.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...