Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Lana Mountford" <l.s.mountford@a...>
Date:  Thu Nov 1, 2001  10:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Not-terribly Christian Christmas music?

This is difficult -- most Christmas sacred music talks about the
Christ child, the nativity, etc., and I know these are not usually
welcomed in the Unitarian church.

That said, I'd look at anything composed or arranged by Craig
Courtney. He writes well for the voice, and he has several
collections for medium voice and piano. "The Hymn Settings of John
Ness Beck" is good, as are "Psalm Settings of Craig Courtney" and
"Music for the Master." Understand, though, that Courtney's stuff is
written for what I'd call "mainstream" Christian churches, so you
might have to dig a bit to find something that isn't too Christian.

One that might work well is the opening movement of Mozart's
"Exsultate Jubilate" -- it's not that long, and I like it better than
the concluding movement "Alleluia" (which would also be a good choice,
but it's almost overdone).