Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dr Colin D Reed <colin.reed@e...>
Date:  Wed May 10, 2000  10:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] career + children

Please remember that not all of us on this list have the benefit of the
American system. I for one am studying singing because, yes, I expect a
career in it. My current employment serves to feed me, pay the mortgage
and pay the singing teacher. There are people who have managed careers
with a family life, although maybe it is slightly easier for men not
being the ones who get pregnant. I would hate to preclude either the
possibility of having a family, or having a singing career. I sincerely
hope that I can have both, and that is something that I shall continue
working towards.

Colin

Lisa M Olson wrote:

> Isabelle, the other thing to remember is that not all of us can POSSIBLY have
these kind of careers! Renee Fleming and Beverly Sills and Renata Tebaldi have
and had immense careers, but how many of us on this list REALLY expect that?
(Or am I the only one who would be happy to do regional operas and concerts)
The one nice thing about the American system is that you could really be based
anywhere and go to a regional house for 3-4 weeks at a time. Do this 2 to 3
times a year, and you CAN be at home with your children most of the time.

--
Colin Reed, Tenor
Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK

emusic.com