Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Wed May 10, 2000  5:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] career + children + teaching

FWIW I'll add my own perspective:

When I was choosing a career I loved science and music. I planned to do
premed but wondered about doing music, too. My parents never really
encouraged me in the music because it was not conceived as a career but I
thought that I had to concentrate on one or the other. In retrospect, I
probably could have done both but pick one as the main emphasis.

As a result of my misconception, I missed out on years of musical growth and
experience until I resumed singing about 8 years ago. Now I am so busy as a
physician and father I am finding it difficult to take the time to do as
much music as I'd like.

My daughter has IMHO a marvelous soprano voice. She is a high school
sophomore and is trying to decide how to keep music in her life while
considering medical school. I am trying to encourage her not to rule either
out. If she chooses one over the other, it should because of personal
preference, not concern over future employment, etc.

As far as the old saying suggesting that teachers are those who can't do --
I teach med students now and I waited to be involved until I felt very
competent at what I do. There is a quote by John Gardner that goes
something like this: (paraphrased) A society that exalts philosophers since
theirs is a noble profession and demeans plumbers as a lowly profession is
in danger: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water.

People will only do as well as we expect them to.

John

John Messmer, M.D. Medical Director, Penn State Geisinger Health Group,
Palmyra, PA

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1501 Re: career + children + teaching Ricciardi, Rick   Wed  5/10/2000   1 KB

emusic.com