Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Susan Schneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Wed May 10, 2000  5:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Children's Career-was career+children

Hi, Leslie,

I feel for your regrets at not having majored in voice. It's possible that
even though your nursing degree came in handy, the very fact that you
studied nursing instead of music and voice kept you from going after a
singing career. Let Kate pursue her dream and let her develop all the
skills she needs to do that. Don't handicap her at the outset by keeping
her from getting the education she needs to get those skills. My
observation has been that the non-majors do not get the top teachers; they
get assistants in a lot of schools.

In order to make a living in the meantime, she doesn't need to double major.
Let her take some classes to get some skills in computing, word processing,
anything you don't need a degree for but can still make OK money. We all
find ways to survive with our BMus's or MMus's. Who knows what her future
will hold regarding husband, kids, career? Let her go for what she wants;
adjustments can follow.

Just my $.02.

Susan Schneider

emusic.com