Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Wed May 10, 2000  5:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] career + children

> have and had immense careers, but how many of us on
> this list REALLY expect that?

Well... I do. I mean, that was my point to asking. I
know that one can make a good career as a regional
singer. There are many fine singers who affiliate
themselves with a certain house, and sing large and
small parts for that house so as not to disrupt their
families (Philip Skinner is one such name for the San
Francisco Opera, and I know there have been many
Met-centric singers). That is a good choice to make,
but it's not what I want from my life.

I'm weighing the advantages and disadvantages of
having children while building and sustaining a
fast-paced, American and European career of some
magnitude.

Obviously, I may fail, but I'd like to consider the
issues involved before I find myself in the
uncomfortable positions of Fleming and Sills. Could
they have planned their families/careers better and
been happier?

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte