Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Oct 28, 2001  5:41 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Interesting Singer Diary on the Web

singing an opera role requires the development of skills that cannot
be faked. there are other forms of music that someone with 'the knack' can
'wing' but, they can't 'wing' opera, at least, not convincingly to those who
know what opera is. those of you who know how i feel about opera might be
surprised to hear me say such a thing. my rejection of opera is
philosophical and personal. i do not reject opera on merit.

having performed leading roles in opera that require a lot of running
around and having done a considerable amount of running (by ordinary
standards), i find the comparison peculiar. they seem to me to have nothing
to do with each other. i would agree that someone who is in good shape
would have an easier time with the task of performing a major role but, they
would also have an easier time with any task that involves using the body,
from walking up the stairs to cleaning up the house.

i find eaglen's comparison an insult to marathon runners. and, if a
marathon runner said preparing for a race took the same level of academic
preparedness as preparing for a major operatic role, i would consider that an
insult to the opera singer.
both require work that can't be faked. it is not necessary for either to
make outrageous claims to impress. singing an opera is what it is, not what
it is PLUS an athletic event of olympic proportions, just as running a
marathon is not an athletic achievment worthy of note PLUS a
multi-disciplined, academic exercise.

oranges are orange and apples are red, not dark orange. both taste
good but, differently so.

mike

emusic.com