Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
"Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Thu Oct 25, 2001  5:32 pm
Subject:  UK "Amateur" versions

Nick once wrote:
>here in the UK at least (I don't know about elsewhere), >there is an
"amateur"
>version of the show, in which the part of Eisenstein is >written
approximately
>a third lower, and sits more comfortably in the "average" >baritone voice (

I just came across this with The Merry Widow. I was going for the part of
Danilo, which sits quite nicely for a medium tenor without having to go too
high. Suddenly I find it all written down a tone from the original. As a
consequence, I'm now singing the role of Camille, which I wouldn't have
thought myself suitable for in the original. Unfortunately, many of the
good recits have been replaced with spoken dialogue over the music as well.
Have many people come across these "Operatic Society" versions of shows?

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15019 Re: UK "Amateur" versions Linda Fox   Tue  10/30/2001   3 KB
15023 Re: UK "Amateur" versions Colin Reed   Tue  10/30/2001   2 KB

emusic.com