Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Fholer, Eric L" <baritone@o...>
Date:  Wed Oct 24, 2001  9:01 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: Interesting Singer Diary on the Web

> not only did she claim singing a majoe role used as much energy as a
>marathon, she suggested there was some study that looked into it. i don't

>even believe that. if singing an opera used as much energy as running a
>marathon, there wouldn't be so many fat opera singers singing two to three
>performances a week.

>mike

I disagree. I did the chorus in G&S's Mikado this summer, which required
very little physical exertion on my part, and I was in great physical shape
anyway - in any case, I came home exhausted after every rehearsal and
especially after the shows - it wasn't the singing or the choreography that
wore me out - it was the mental effort that put everything together, the
emotion of being a part of the production and the crowd's enthusiasm, that
left me mentally and physically exhausted.

And then the same thing when my choir group sang Mozart's Requiem two weeks
ago - no movement at all - but I was, as they say, totally "spent"
afterwards.

I probably didn't burn as many calories as I would in a marathon - which is
why there are so many large opera singers - but both defintely required a
tremendous amount of "energy."

Eric

emusic.com