Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  " Toogan" <boobook@n...>
" Toogan" <boobook@n...>
Date:  Tue Oct 23, 2001  12:58 pm
Subject:  Singing in a choir

I've followed this topic with great interest. For me, singing in a choir seems
to be the only way I am able to indulge my passion. I am an amateur - I
discovered I had a decent sort of voice 5 years ago, at 45. I have no
illusions that there is any sort of singing career open to me at that late age,
except for choirs. However, I also have a powerful voice, with a 3 octave
range and I sometimes feel constricted in the choir. I am in the soprano
section, and try hard to keep my voice quiet so I don't stand out from the
rest. Sometimes I just want to let it rip - sing out, and sing in all of my
range. Rather frustrating at times. I am also finding that my lower range is
getting weaker - I guess because I am singing the soprano bit. I suppose I
just have to accept the drawbacks of choir singing, as it is the only avenue I
have to perform. Any comments anyone? I would also like your opinion on
whether I should sing in the sopranos, or would it be healthier for my voice to
go to the altos?

Cheerio from Australia
Christine Welsh

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14891 Re: Singing in a choir sopran@a...   Tue  10/23/2001   3 KB
14892 Re: Singing in a choir peggyh@i...   Tue  10/23/2001   5 KB
14895 Re: Singing in a choir Greypins@a...   Tue  10/23/2001   2 KB
14924 Re: Singing in a choir mariella   Thu  10/25/2001   5 KB
14935 Re: Singing in a choir Terry Mitchell   Thu  10/25/2001   6 KB
14937 Re: Singing in a choir mariella   Fri  10/26/2001   3 KB
14939 Re: Singing in a choir Lana Mountford   Fri  10/26/2001   6 KB
14940 Singing Folk Music Milena Sertich Grubor   Fri  10/26/2001   3 KB
14942 Re: Singing Folk Music Kathryn Thickstun Leff   Fri  10/26/2001   3 KB

emusic.com