Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
"Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
Date:  Mon Oct 22, 2001  2:22 pm
Subject:  OT: Moulin Rouge - An Opera ?

I was completely blown away by this movie last night. (Probably months after
its been around The States!)

Obviously its musical style is not operatic but dramatically I thought that
it had many links. The scale and surreality was too big to call it a
'musical' and it ran in a very 'recit-aria-recit' style throughout. At
really BIG moments of emotion an operatic voice (Placido Domingo) rides over
the top of the others, filling out the sound.

It felt as though the director had managed to produce a completely new genre
of film that had to be watched in much the same 'suspension of reality' mode
as opera. Anyone know if the director (Baz Lehmann?) has previous opera
experience ?

Kevin

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14889 Re: OT: Moulin Rouge - An Opera ? Kevin Hollis   Tue  10/23/2001   3 KB

emusic.com