Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 22, 2001  1:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re:soloist voice singing in the choir

In a message dated 10/22/2001 8:43:30 AM Central Daylight Time,
sopran@a... writes:
sopran@a... writes:

<< << 48-voice choir >>

The one I was in (a regional group) was close to 200. Big difference! And
since we often performed with large orchestras on stage (plus acoustical
backdrops that ate up any leftover space) it was definitely crunch time for
the singers.>>

Well, I've had both ends of the spectrum - I was section leader for a choir
of 150+ and a member of a professional chamber group (15 women). In the
first, I was cramped physically, in the 2nd I was cramped vocally (I was
singing 2nd soprano and felt as though all the parts lay in my passaggio and
that I was sticking out).

<< It didn't help that most of my fellow choristers were unwilling to turn
sideways to make more room--they all wanted to be facing straight ahead and
were absolutely unmovable, despite pleas and even threats from the
conductor. I had to get out of there! >>

I was told in a pedagogy workshop that standing sideways and turning your
head to sing actually stresses the strap muscles and should be avoided.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>