Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  GWendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
GWendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
Date:  Mon Oct 22, 2001  3:35 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re:soloist voice singing in the choir

and at 01:19 PM 10/21/01 EDT, sopran@a... wrote:
>I gave up on choral singing long ago--it was bad for my technique! I got
>tired of being crammed in with a million other people--with no space to
>spread out and BREATHE! My shoulders and elbows were scrunched, and there was
>not even room to stand with feet apart.

These problems aren't insurmountable if you really love choral music. I
sing with a 48-voice choir. We had specially designed risers constructed of
steel providing an extemely secure and stable platform. The steps are 2
feet deep, rather than the usual 16 inches, so there's plenty of room for
all, and our music isn't crammed into our bodies. The steps are padded
with thick rubber which makes it much easier on our backs. Finally, each
row has a seat-rail allowing us to sit during instrumental or soloist
interludes. The whole thing breaks down into manageable pieces which we can
truck to each venue with a moderate amount of planning. An added bonus was
that it was built and donated to us by one of our patrons who owns a
construction company.

GWendel, dT

emusic.com