Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Oct 19, 2001  6:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re:soloist voice singing in the choir

In a message dated 10/19/2001 1:40:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
RossiniSop@a... writes:
RossiniSop@a... writes:

<< Anyway, I asked to be put in the back this time, and instead I got put
smack
dab in the middle of the sopranos. When I mentioned this to someone, they
said that's where the best voices should be, but I never heard this before.

yes, this makes sense. there is an approach to achieving a blend in a
chorus by placing the 'foundation' voice (usually someone with a fairly lyric
voice without any striking characteristics) in the middle with the best voice
right next to him/her. the voices that tend to be a little on the more
focused side (the human glass cutters) go on one side and the 'donut' voices
go on the other side. the idea is to get a spectrum of voices that go from
cloudy to brassy. when putting the section together, the brassy voices all
go on the inside.
one of the contributors to howard swan's 'a choral symposium' (i think
that's the title) is a great practitioner of this approach. i can't
remember his name and the book is probably out of print.

mike

emusic.com